Find these products, see availability and prices in our web shop.
Please login to see your net-prices. If you haven’t got a login – get one here.
What does the term “Solid oil” mean?
Solid oil is a polymeric matrix saturated with oil, forming a seamless fill within the bearing’s available space, enveloping both the rolling components and the cage. The polymer material features a porous framework, replete with millions of micro-pores designed to retain the lubricating oil.
Ball and roller bearings have conventionally relied on the application of grease and oils for lubrication. However, these lubricants frequently result in leakage and contamination of the nearby environment, necessitating regular maintenance involving manual or automated re-lubrication. Volution’s solid polymer lubricant, known as VPL, effectively mitigates or even eradicates the issues commonly linked with traditional lubrication methods.
VPL solid polymer lubricants offer several advantages, including:
- Maintenance-Free Operation: VPL lubricants eliminate the need for regular re-lubrication, ensuring continuous performance.
- Precise Lubrication: They consistently provide the optimal amount of lubrication required for efficient operation.
- Contamination Resistance: VPL lubricants are highly resistant to contamination, maintaining bearing integrity even in challenging environments and during washdowns without the need for extra seals.
- Durability in Harsh Conditions: These lubricants can withstand demanding applications, making them suitable for rugged environments and substancial G-forces.
- Low temperature environments: Solid oil bearings can operate at a significant lower temperature than normal greased bearings.
- Enhanced Cleanliness: VPL lubricants significantly improve cleanliness by preventing contaminants from infiltrating and affecting bearing performance.
- Extended Bearing Life: By blocking out contaminants and resisting chemicals that could lead to premature bearing failure, VPL lubricants deliver a higher volume of oil to the bearings and can significantly prolong bearing life.
Advantages of Solid Oil
Solid oil, designed for use in situations where conventional relubrication techniques prove impractical, offers a range of benefits, such as:
|Benefit||VPL||Manual greasing||Auto grease||Auto oil|
|Protection from contaminates||Yes||No||No||No|
|Low preventive maintenance||Yes||No||*high cost||*high cost|
|Lubricates as needed||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|No need to re-lubricate||Yes||No||No||No|
|Low operating cost||Yes||No||No||No|
*Automated lubrication systems have high initial cost, require ongoing maintenance, and continue to use grease or oil.
Physical Property: Oil filled micro-porous polymer
Lubrication: Synthetic PAO and additives, NSF H1 (food safe)
Operating Temp: -50°C to 100°C
@ 40°C SUS 762 cST146
@ 100°C SUS 97 cST 19
Oil Specific Gravity: 0.86
Cu Corrosion: 1a
Additives: anti-corrosion, oxidation resistance, anti-wear
Solid oil limitations
Utilizing solid polymer lubricants imposes speed constraints on all bearings. Furthermore, solid polymer lubrication formulations come with specified upper limits for recommended operating temperatures.
These can be found in the chart below. To calculate speed limitation, use the following formula:
Maximum rpm = Ndm value / ((Outer diameter + Bore) * 0,5)
|Bearing Type||Ndm value|
|Single row deep grove ball bearings with steel cage, including ceramic hybrid||300,000|
|Ball and Y-bearings with plastic cage||40,000|
|Double row deep groove and angular contact ball bearings||150,000|
|Cylindrical roller and self aligning ball bearings||150,000|
|Spherical roller bearings||84,000|
|Tapered roller bearings||44,000|